|Posted by ShipwreckWriter - Lynn Pettigrew Norris on December 31, 2012 at 11:10 AM|
From 2012 to Eternity!
By Lynn Pettigrew Norris
What on earth does that “E” on one’s digital scale mean – ETERNITY?!
Not asking for a sign from above, I got one anyway. It’stime. A person just knows. It’s time for me to make and stick to a New Year’sresolution of losing weight. I’m sort of disgusted. Not wanting to have such a typical – ok let’s even say boring – New Year’s resolution. But even more important, I’m disgusted that my weight finally hit an unmentionable number –one that I never thought I’d see peering back at me from my scale. And even more shocking – was that “E” staring back at me!?
It’s time. 2013 – the year to get healthy!
I’m looking for others who want to join me on this journey.Dieting alone has never proven to be much fun. Cheating is much easier when no one is checking up on you. The catch is – you have to divulge your actual weight. But the good news – you don’t have to tell it until you reach your dieting goal!
My weight goal is actually about 20 pounds more than I probably should or could weigh if I set my heart and mind to it. But for me,and for now, it is important to reach my goal weight – and fast! I figure itwill take me at least four months to reach this goal weight. So I promise toreport in on my birthday – which is April 23rd.
I fully admit that I let other areas of my life affect my weight. 2012 was a long hard year for me in the work world. I left my school district job to work as a case manager (again) after receiving a tempting call from a program director with an offer I could not refuse. I was so ill-informed, so ignorant. But there is no sense in holding on to all the “what if’s” in life.No doubt we all would have regrets while looking back. It has always been my motto to have no regrets – so there is no point in starting now.
It is time for me to suck it up and own the road that I am on. I am the Director of a Nonprofit – a volunteer full-time position. When I pray (and sometimes when I am not even thinking on this subject), the answer seems to come back to me the same – to keep going in this direction. And when I question my circumstances, my lack of a paycheck, and reflect on the wonderful top salary jobs that I have held in the past, I hear the voice of the Lord in my heart telling me these words from Matthew 6:
25“Therefore I tell you, do not worry aboutyour life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear.Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?26Look at the birdsof the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet yourheavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Who of you by worrying can add a single hourto his lifeb?
28“And why do you worry about clothes? See howthe lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in allhis splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of thefield, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he notmuch more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall weeat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32For the pagans run after all these things,and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and hisrighteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
Now, back to that 2013 resolution of weight loss. It is time for me to get up and get on with life. Life is for sure what you make it. Sometimes things are simply out of your control, so that is why it is even more important to take control of the areas of your life that you can. I can do this. It’s time! As much as I love to eat, it’s time to get healthy and to stop feeling sorry for myself. After all –look all across America. It is for sure I’m not the only one who lost a job in 2012. We are supposed to be thankful for everything that comes our way, no matter what. So let me offer this prayer:
“Thank you, Lord for giving methe opportunity to serve families in my county and for taking that job away from me. I know that everything that happens takes place for a reason. Thank You for moving me on down the road. Without this loss, I would probably never have stepped into the next phase of service in my life. Thank You Lord for whatat the time seemed so full of sorrow, confusion, and loss, I trust You to take my life, my hands, my mind, and my heart as I strive to serve others in any waythat I am allowed to do so. Not much makes sense at this point - especially from an earthly point of view on family finances and such. But I am trying to remember your promises from your Word about Your faithfulness in all ways. Amen.”
My 2013 New Year’s Resolutions are as follows:
1) Get Healthy! Get my weight back into check, getmoving (exercise!), and eat my vegetables!
2) Put my heart into ECCRC and Lighthouse Libraryand forget about the fact that it’s a volunteer position! By using myeducation, training, and skills to help others, how on earth can I feelanything but blessed?
3) Get aworking kitchen in place in my home (you knew I just had to add this one – it’stime!).
4) Watch the sun rise and/or the sun set every daythat is possible this upcoming year! And while I’m looking on to the beautybefore me, offer a prayer to the Lord for that day of life, for all blessings,our food, a home, family, health, a country and community to live where we arefree.
5) Keep my focus off from finding a job and on tohelping others! To remember to say a prayer for all those with known issues ofneed in many areas of their lives! And to do this every day .
6) Retain my Teaching License. Who knows why. Butsomeone (wise) told me in 2012 – Never, never let your teaching license go!Sounds difficult, but important for sure. So I will try to follow their advise –but still and again – who knows why!
7) Grow a garden – and keep it alive! Not waste theproduce that comes my way – to can, freeze or preserve the fruits, berries, andvegetables that come forth from the earth and to share these with others.
To get a community food pantry back up &running in my community.
9) Paint our house – on the outside – for us &for our neighborsJ
10) To go on a vacation – to see my relatives andgive them a big enough hug to last until the next time we meet again.
Happy New Year! Happy 2013!!